BIRDHAVEN RATEPAYERS’ ASSOCIATION
Monday 9 June 2014
9 Edgewood Rd, Birdhaven
Venue changed to Lucy Graham – recycler problem
Melissa Carstens, Constance Smith
- FINALISATION OF THE AGENDA
- MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING
- MATTERS ARISING
SC has found someone to develop a website for us. PC concerned about follow up and loading of site.
- COUNCILLOR JACK COOPER
- DA walked out of budget discussion – Agenda changed without discussion
- Vagrants in park – huge problem. Property next to Pikitup been allocated to re-cyclers. An EIA study has to be conducted first before this can become a reality.
- PC concerned that this will cause a ‘permanence’ of the squatters and recyclers in the area.
- JC reports the squatter problem to Jo’burg Parks and JMPD on a weekly basis.
- AB called Remade Recyclers – spoke to Stephen who was willing to liaise with PC. PC to email firstname.lastname@example.org
- An active and driven re-cycling initiative throughout Melrose, Melrose North, Birdhaven and Abbotsford is could work to eliminate the source of the recyclers material.
- LAND DEVELOPMENT
7.1 Erf 86 29 Greenacres
Trees and front garden being cleared.
JC to phone Jane Shrank
7.2 Erf 15 Greenacres
Flatten house and build 3 properties
7.3 Building Sites – Problems Encountered
- TREASURER’S REPORT SC
Total – R150 261.17
Paid for fence
- PARKS AB / PC
9.1 James & Ethel Grey Park [Melrose Arch]
JC arranged to have the ‘poison’ leaking water hole repaired
Vagrants – various issues listed below. GR
- Difficult to find a solution. Requires a dedicated committee to focus only on the problem.
- Local government intervention is urgently required
- A meeting was held with City Parks and SA Police Representative about the security in the park. Concerns about the attacks on runners and walkers.
- Squatters are the biggest problem in the park causing the unsightly mess in dip, litter and washing in the spruit
- The site of the Dump is the real issue – creates a hive of activity
- City park generates a large amount of revenue from Pikitup
- One solution would be to move the dumpsite to Wynberg which is an industrial area and a dumpsite is more suited to the environment.
GR to contact to the Green Scorpions – 080 020 5005 GR
- Sandspruit Development PC
- Birdhaven Triangle
A wonderful success. Constantly in use.
- Henderson Park
The fence has been erected with a gate at the Tyrwhitt entrance
Jo’burg Properties still haven’t approved the management of the Bowling Club
- SECURITY GR
- Recent Incidents
- Incident at the corner of Ravenswood and Greenacres -one person was arrested.
- Paul Roos the dentist on Wrenrose Ave had 2 attempted incidents. A cellphone was stolen from a worker repairing the gate.
- Cnr Wrenrose & Greenacres – armed robbery at 12h30 in the day
- Security Companies – Birdhaven
Our suburb security requires reassessment – Stallion, 7 Arrows have been asked for proposals.
- GR has been waiting for Stallion’s proposal for 8 weeks.
- 7-Arrows compiling a comprehensive report for the suburb
GR met with an independent security consultant re: recommendations
GR to contact Kerry Kuhlman to fix the cameras on his section of Ravenswood
- MAINTENANCE OF SUBURB – Call Centre 011 375 5555 MC
The suburb is generally in good condition
Our roads are still a problem; hopefully some of the R2 billion ‘city road budget’ will be allocated to Birdhaven
11.1 Monitoring of the dump
11.3 Street lights
11.4 Water leaks
Leak on the corner of Ravenswood and Tyrwhitt – SC to log a call
- COMMUNICATION PB
- Next Birdhaven Brief will be in July and then again in September
- Organise a suburb ‘Spring Picnic’ in September
- NEXT MEETINGS
29 July, 15 September, 20 October, 3 November AGM